Recipe of the Week- Slow Cooker Vegetarian Tamale Pie
- by loraelton
- 21 December, 2012
Recipe Of The Week
This is such a healthy, easy to make dish that has a good kick and is perfect for a hearty meal to warm you up on these cold nights. It has a large amount of vegetables but you could quite easily add in some chicken or steak if you prefer to add some meat. The protein in this dish comes in the form of kidney beans, black beans and the cheese.
I think the best thing about this recipe is that fact that you can just put it on as you go to bed and wake up with a great lunch or even first thing in the morning and arrive home to dinner!
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 large chopped tomatoes
- 200grams sliced baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 white onion chopped
- 5 slices of jalapeno- from a jar or more if you want an extra kick!
- 1 large courgette chopped
- 1 large chopped red pepper
- 1 can of kidney beans
- 1 cup of black beans (cooked)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 187 grams yellow cornmeal- ideally wholemeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 12 oz coconut milk- or whatever milk you normally use
- 1 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 40g grated cheddar cheese (I used lactose free)
Chop all the veg up and add to slow cooker with the spices and beans and leave to cook on low for 7 hours.
To make the cornflour topping mix the milk, egg, vinegar and coconut oil together and add the baking powder. Whisk until smooth and then add the grated cheese and stir well.
Flatten the vegetable mixture and then pour over the cornflour mixture to form a crust. Place towel over the slow cooekr and then replace the lid and cook on high for approx an hour and slice into wedges.
Calories per serving 255
Protein 7.3 grams
Vitamin C 72% RDA